Letter from NYeC Executive Director, Valerie Grey
Welcome to the fifth issue of the SHIN-NY Spotlight, a quarterly update on the progress the state is making in developing New York’s health information exchange (HIE), the Statewide Health Information Network for New York (SHIN-NY).
We’re proud to present the SHIN-NY 2020 Roadmap! Over the past several months, NYeC has been working closely with our stakeholders, partners, the eight Qualified Entities, and the State to develop a multi-year Roadmap to define the continued evolution of the Statewide Health Information Network for New York (SHIN-NY). Focused on increasing adoption, data contribution, and usage of important value-based care services, the Roadmap sets ambitious goals and employs a variety of tools for execution of the SHIN-NY, including new performance-based contracting, policy changes, and advocacy.
Success will take a myriad of dedicated stakeholders all working towards these goals using the following five strategies:
- Ensuring a strong health information exchange (HIE) foundation (the basics) across the State for providers, health plans, and public health
- Aggressively supporting patient-centric, value-based care, and certain tools, supports, and services desired by stakeholders
- Enabling interoperability and innovations using HIE as a foundation
- Promoting efficiency and affordability of the SHIN-NY system
- Advocating collectively for the SHIN-NY and its stakeholders
The Roadmap establishes a solid base and will pave the way for additional private support. It will promote and maximize the SHIN-NY’s potential to directly support, enable, and fuel:
- Patient-centered, value-based care
- A learning health system
- Public health
- Patient engagement
This Roadmap should be viewed as a high-level framework. As with most strategic plans in dynamic and changing industries, the Roadmap is a living document that will be revisited at least annually.
Working together, we will reach the SHIN-NY’s maximum potential and dramatically transform healthcare into a system where health information exchange is universally used as a tool to make lives better!
New York eHealth Collaborative