Meaningful Use & The Medicaid Eligible Professional (EP2) Program
Meaningful Use, also known as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service (CMS) Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program, gives financial incentives to providers who demonstrate “meaningful use” of their ONC-certified EHR technology. Providers can receive payments if they use an EHR to capture patient data, coordinate care of the patient, ePrescribe, and engage with patients via their EHR system.
About the Program
The Medicaid Eligible Professional (EP2) program is a New York State Department of Health (DOH) initiative providing outreach, assistance, and support services for achieving Meaningful Use with your ONC-certified electronic health record (EHR).
Meaningful Use Measures as of 2017
|Objective 1:||Protect Patient Health Information|
|Objective 2:||Clinical Decision Support (CDS)|
|Objective 3:||Computer Provider Order Entry (CPOE)|
|Objective 4:||Electronic Prescribing (eRx)|
|Objective 5:||Health Information Exchange|
|Objective 6:||Patient-Specific Education|
|Objective 7:||Medication Reconciliation|
|Objective 8:||Patient Electronic Access|
|Objective 9:||Secure Messaging|
|Objective 10:||Public Health Reporting|
The NYeC HAPS team and our skilled subcontractors strategically positioned throughout NYS provide services to assist providers in achieving the various stages of Meaningful Use of certified electronic health record technology as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
|Service Description||Summary and Comments|
|Ensuring your practice has a certified EHR system that meets all the preliminary program qualifications (FFS, volume, ePaces enrollment) in place|
Meaningful Use Services
|Free direct and remote assistance and services to support successful attestation for Meaningful Use (all levels)|
Education, Training, and Support
Audit Readiness and Preparation
|Helping to ensure your practice has all the documentation needed in case of an audit|
|Assistance in facilitating HIE enrollment in local Qualified Entity (QE)|
Phases of Achievement and Program Milestones
NYeC will support practices to certify milestone achievements per eligible provider. Supporting documentation is required to demonstrate achievement of each of these four phases:
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for subsequent years of Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 3 (MU3)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for subsequent years of Meaningful Use Stage 3 (MU3)
- Up to a total of $63,750 in incentive payments over six years of program participation
- Participation in Year One earns an incentive payment of $21,250
- Each of the five additional participation years earns an incentive payment of $8,500
- There are no penalties under Medicaid for failure to participate in all six years of the EHR incentive program
- Participation years do not need to be consecutive
- The last year to receive incentive payment is 2021
Note: EPs must be participating in the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program in 2016.
Providers are eligible if they are enrolled and in good standing with the New York State Medicaid Fee-For-Service program and meet the 30% patient encounter volume threshold as defined by CMS.
The following types of medical professionals are eligible to participate:
- Physicians (MD and DO), including Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Physician Assistants (PAs) who practice in a Federal Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Providers who attest to the Medicaid patient encounter volume requirement, using either the standard or alternative patient volume methods in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment Administrative Support Service (MEIPASS), would be eligible to qualify to participate in the Medicaid EP2 Program.
Medicaid encounter service types include:
- Medicaid Fee-For-Service
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Family Health Plus
*Pediatricians have the reduced option of demonstrating 20-30% Medicaid patient volume, but will only receive 2/3 the incentive payment when their percentage is below 30%.
For areas OUTSIDE of New York City (Rest of State), contact NYeC via our contact form or reach out to the EP2 team at EP2Info@nyehealth.org.
For areas within New York City, contact the NYC Regional Electronic Adoption Center for Health (NYC REACH)
For further information, please contact NYeC’s HAPS team.
* These fields are required.