About the Program
The Medicaid Eligible Professional (EP2) program is a New York State Department of Health (DOH) initiative that provides outreach, assistance, and support services for achieving Meaningful Use with your Electronic Health Record (EHR).
The NYeC HAPS team and our roster of skilled subcontractors provide services to assist providers in achieving the various stages of Meaningful Use of certified electronic health record technology as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Benefits to Providers and Organizations
- Up to a total of $63,750 over the six years that they choose to participate in the program.
- Participation in year one earns you an incentive payment of $21,250, then $8,500 for each of the five additional participation years.
- There are no penalties under Medicaid for failure to participate in all years of the EHR incentive program.
- Participation years do not need to be consecutive. The last year to receive incentive payment is 2021.
Note: EPs must be participating in the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program in 2016.
Providers are eligible if they are enrolled and in good standing with the New York State Medicaid fee-for-service program and meet the 30% patient encounter volume threshold as defined by CMS.
The following types of medical professionals are eligible to participate:
- Physicians (MD and DO), including Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Physician Assistants (PAs) who practice in a Federal Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Providers who attest to the Medicaid patient encounter volume requirement, using either the standard or alternative patient volume methods in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment Administrative Support Service (MEIPASS), would be eligible to qualify to participate in the Medicaid EP2 Program.
Medicaid encounter service types include the following:
- Medicaid fee-for-service
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Family Health Plus
*Pediatricians have the reduced option of demonstrating 20-30% Medicaid patient volume, but will only receive 2/3 the incentive payment when their percentage is below 30%.
Program Service and Assistance
|Service Description||Summary and Comments|
|Ensuring your practice has a certified EHR system in place that meets all the preliminary program qualifications (FFS, volume, ePaces enrollment)|
Meaningful Use Services
|Free direct and remote assistance and services to support successful attestation for Meaningful Use (all levels)|
Education, Training, and Support
Audit Readiness and Preparation
|Helping to ensure your practice has all the documentation needed in case of an audit|
|Assistance in facilitating HIE enrolment in local QE|
Phases of Achievement
NYeC and our skilled subcontractors strategically placed throughout New York State will support practices to certify milestone achievements per eligible provider. Supporting documentation is required to demonstrate achievement of each of these four phases:
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for subsequent years of Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 3 (MU3)
- Successful attestation in achieving CMS’s criteria for subsequent years of Meaningful Use Stage 3 (MU3)
For areas OUTSIDE of New York City (Rest of State), contact NYeC via our contact form or reach out to the EP2 team at EP2Info@nyehealth.org.
For areas within New York City, contact the NYC Regional Electronic Adoption Center for Health (NYC REACH)
For further information, please contact NYeC’s HAPS team.
* These fields are required.