About the Program
The Medicaid Eligible Professional (EP2) program is a New York State Department of Health (DOH) initiative that provides outreach, assistance, and support services for Electronic Health Record (EHR) adoption, implementation, and achieving Meaningful Use.
The NYeC HAPS team and our roster of skilled agents provide services to assist providers to achieve the various stages of Meaningful Use of certified electronic health record technology as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Benefits to Providers and Organizations
- Up to a total of $63,750 over the six years that they choose to participate in the program.
- Participation in year one earns you an incentive payment of $21,250, then $8,500 for each of the five additional participation years.
- There are no penalties under Medicaid for failure to participate in all years of the EHR incentive program.
- Participation years do not need to be consecutive. The last year to receive incentive payment is 2021.
Note: EPs must be participating in the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program in 2016.
Providers are eligible if they are enrolled and in good standing with the New York State Medicaid fee-for-service program and meet the 30% patient encounter volume threshold as defined by CMS.
The following types of medical professionals are eligible to participate:
- Physicians (MD and DO), including Specialists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Physician Assistants (PAs) who practice in a Federal Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Providers who attest to the Medicaid patient encounter volume requirement, using either the standard or alternative patient volume methods in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Payment Administrative Support Service (MEIPASS), would be eligible to qualify to participate in the Medicaid EP2 Program.
Medicaid encounter service types include the following:
- Medicaid fee-for-service
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Family Health Plus
*Pediatricians have the reduced option of demonstrating 20-30% Medicaid patient volume, but will only receive 2/3 the incentive payment when their percentage is below 30%.
Program Service and Assitance
||Summary and Comments|
Practice advisory services and assistance
|Monthly Medicaid Q&A calls with representatives from NY State Medicaid and Office of Medicaid Inspector General|
Privacy and security training
|Security Risk Anslysis (SRA) for HIPAA compliance|
EHR Adoption, Implementation, Upgrade (AIU milestone) support
|Assistance in the selection, implementation, or upgrade of a certified EHR with HIE capabilities|
Meaningful Use services and support
|Direct and remote assistance and services to support succesful attestation for Meaningful Use (all levels)|
Change management support
|Assistance in facilitating HIE enrolment in local QE|
Phases of Achievement
NYeC and our skilled vendors throughout New York State will support practices to certify milestone achievement per eligible provider. Supporting documentation is required to demonstrate achievement of each of the three phases:
- Successful “Go Live” (AIU) of a certified EHR
- Attestation of reaching CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 2 (MU2)
- Attestation of reaching CMS’s criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 3 (MU3)
For further information, please contact NYeC’s HAPS team.
* These fields are required.